Holiday Recipes

Well since I've had my house decorated for Christmas 3 weeks ago, I figured this might be an appropriate time to blog about it. Pinterest has so many ideas for recipes and decor its ridiculous. I figured I would give some of them a try.  Let's start with the food. (The decor will come later this week, I'm finishing up a project!)

I figured now that I am married and am "put together" I had to bring things to family Thanksgivings that weren't store bought. I am a horrid cook, but these all turned out well and people actually liked them. Miracle or Pinterest? So if you want to impress the family even if you suck as a cook; these are your recipes for the holidays.

The first one is called "Crack Dip" for good reason. It is pretty addicting. It is also easy and can be paired with almost anything.
How to make:

16oz of  sour cream
3oz  bag of bacon bits
1 packet of ranch seasoning
1 cup of mild cheddar cheese

All you do is combine the ingredients and chill for 24 hours. (One batch only chilled for 5 hours and it was fine.)  You can serve it with crackers, vegetables, or chips. It is yummy!

Re-pinned from:   http://www.plainchicken.com/2008/07/chili-cheese-dip_22.html

Gingerbread Donuts:

Ok I forgot to take a picture, and I am kind glad because mine looked like wet balls of dough. They tasted good though.
Check out her website for directions on how to make these. I didn't have a mini donut pan, so I made them in cupcake tins. It made them a little more cakier but the point was reached. Also, it took me WAY more than 5 minutes. Getting all this together was about 30 minutes for me, but that still isn't so bad.

Re-pinned from:  http://pinchofyum.com/baked-gingerbread-mini-donuts


The last food item I made was bruschetta. I wanted something that would be good with wine but also be a great appetizer.  This one was also really really easy. The ingredients weren't too hard to find either.


They went off the plate pretty fast, so they were a great hit with the family.

Here's what you need:
1 loaf of baguette
1 garlic head
3 tsp of olive oil
1 tomato diced
1/4 c of basil
1/2 c of shredded Parmesan cheese 
4 oz of cream cheese

All you do is:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350. Cut off the top of the garlic clove (you don't have to peel it yet.) Drizzle with 1 ts of olive oil and wrap it in tin foil and place it in the oven for 1 hour. (add salt and pepper if you wish)
2. While that is cooking, combine the basil, diced tomato, olive oil, and salt and pepper in bowl.
3. When the garlic is done, peel off the skins and combine with the cream cheese and 1/4 Parmesan in another small bowl.
4.  Cut bread 1/2 inch thick. Place bread on baking sheet. Then spread the garlic cream cheese spread on each piece of bread.
5. Cook the bread in the 350 degree oven for 12 minutes until lightly brown.
6. Drop the tomato mixture on top and you are finished.

I had to make these and then travel, so the best bet is to cook them in the oven and bring the tomato mixture with you. Then when you arrive warm up the bread quickly in the oven, then put the tomato mixture on then.  It is really easy!


Re-pinned from:
http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/roasted-garlic-and-tomato-bruschetta-recipe/

 I must say I was called Betty Crocker several times from different family members, so if I can do it I promise you can! Do you have any easy recipes that are great for family get togethers? Let me know! My rules are, I have to have heard of the ingredients before and it can't take me longer than 30 minutes. Come back later this week for my easy diy Christmas decorations!

Comments

Popular Posts