10 Recipes Under 20 Minutes

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety. -Aesop


I believe in good food and little effort. Literally, in college, I knew how to make spaghetti, peanut butter and jelly, and pizza. I was also really good at take out. When I moved out on my own, I learned to shop for groceries.

The problem was, I had no idea how to make anything. Then this miracle from God was handed down to the internet... in the form of... pinterest.

My rules for pinning food:

-Has to include less than 6 ingredients
-Looks amazing
-Any dessert ( I just can't bake, end of story)

Below is my top 10 list of quick and easy dinners. People, if I can make it, you can make it. I tried to list ones without the crockpot.  All of my recipes feed about 3. (Justin eats for two)

They are mostly low calorie options.


10.   Shrimp Boil


 










I put this at 10, because it takes 40 mins to cook, BUT it only takes 10 minutes to throw in a pot of boiling water.
I boil a pot of water, put in 2 cobs of corn (cut in half), 3-4 red potatoes (or regular, cut in 1/4), 1 onion (white or red cut in 1/4) then I pour in Creole seasoning (enough to make the water orange), cook for 20 minutes, then I throw in shrimp 7-10 medium (de-tailed), and 1 package of turkey skinless smoked sausage (cut in 1 inch thickness). Cook for 20 more minutes, then drain. Lemon halves are optional.

9. Boca Burgers
 





This rang in at 9 because... its burgers. I love Boca burgers because they are low calorie, vegetarian, and fast. The freezable pattys can be warmed up in a microwave or 10 minutes in the oven (120 calories). I like to load them with tomatoes, jalapeno, skim milk cheese (25 calories), pickles, and ketchup. As a side my favorite are the Green Giant Steamers (110 calories a serving, serves 2) (5 minutes in microwave) they come in mac n' cheese with broccoli, potatoes and green beans, broccoli and cheese, and broccoli cheese and rice. I might throw in a hawaiian roll for another 100 calories.. oh and of course beer.

8. Crab Cakes












I get these at Walmart, but they are all similar. These yummy guys can be popped in the oven for 20 minutes. I think they are about 120 calories a cake, and I usually eat 3 or 4. I usually serve with salad and/or Betty Crocker 90 calorie mashed potatoes. Those can be done in the microwave as well. I like the cheddar or loaded potatoes.

7.  Mexican Pizzas














This one probably has the most ingredients, but simply heat up and plop together. I never use ground beef, I always use ground turkey.. I just don't notice a difference. I brown the meat with taco seasoning. (10 mins) as its cooking, I warm up the can of reduced fat refried beans. The other ingredients I sandwich between the two tortillas: salsa, enchilada sauce, shredded cheddar cheese or mexican cheese, beans, and then add the meat. Sometimes I put in  Mexican rice. (90 second bag in microwave) I then spray the cookie sheet (load them on the cookie sheet before) and place them in the oven on 350 degrees for 10 minutes or less. (Just melt the cheese and warm them up)

6. Hawaiian Ham and Cheese






I made these the easy way, by making up what goes on top. My husband loves these. I buy the box of Hawaiian rolls and cut them in half. I put them all in a brownie pan. Inside the rolls, I put ham slices and break up pieces of cheese (swiss or american or pepper jack). Once they are stacked, I heat up a small cup of margarine, a TAD bit of mayo, and Parmesan. I just added enough to pour on top of the bread. I bake for like 5 minutes to let everything warm up. I usually serve with soup or baked beans.

5.  Pork Roast






Ok this one is a crockpot, but considering it took me 5 minutes to throw in the crockpot before work, it made it to number 5. I throw in the teriyaki pork roast, sliced green peppers, and sliced onion. I pour a can of chicken stock over the top and cook for 6-8 hours. You can serve over mashed potatoes or rice. When I say it took 5 minutes to throw in before work, I am serious, so fast! The pork is so juicy and tastes so good!

4. Zatarain's Meals







 I love these! They are like glorified hamburger helper spicy style. I use the Jambalaya Mix, New Orleans Shrimp Scampi, and Gumbo. All you do is add shrimp or sausage to the mix. The best part? The whole box is around 500 calories. To cook this, it takes 15 minutes. You can find these in the "ethnic" section. I serve with New York Lite Texas Toast (110 calories)


3. Crock Pot Italian Chicken






Last crockpot. It is MY fav! Again, it takes LESS than 5 minutes to throw in the crockpot. You actually throw the raw chicken breasts at the bottom of the crockpot. You add 3-4 potatoes cut in half. On top you add Fat Free Italian Caesar Dressing (good God, get the fat free or you will be adding about 600 calories) I use almost the entire bottle. I pour it right on top of the potatoes and chicken. I then add parmesean 1 cup or so depending on how much you make. Let it cook on high for 6-8 hours. The more dressing, the longer it can last. The chicken is shredded and amazing.


2. Shrimp Scampi






I love shrimp scampi. This is so easy. I just buy frozen shrimp, and put in a cup of water to thaw while I boil the thin spaghetti. As, the spaghetti is boiling, I put the olive oil and seasoning in the skillet, and add the shrimp. Once its all cooked, I throw it on the drained spaghetti. I always add the 110 calorie garlic bread and wine! Less than 20 minutes, and its all done!


1.  Huevos Rancheros





Ok I saved the best for last! I made this last night in LESS than 10 minutes. I fried 5 eggs. While those were frying, I warmed up the refried beans, put the Spanish rice in the microwave (90 second Uncle Ben's), I warm up El Paso HOT Enchilada sauce and the tortillas. I serve the rice, beans, and eggs, then pour the enchilada sauce over the top of all of it. You can serve with soft tortilla shells or eat alone. Add hot sauce for more flavor. (this is the simplified version, but feel free to add tomatoes, etc)


I hope you enjoyed. Again, this isn't a gourmet list, this is a list that involves adult food: fast, easy, and decent in calories. Here are some of my groceries that you can find at Walmart or Marsh.




Happy eating. Happy pinning.



































Comments

Popular Posts