Are You Ready for Less?

Well you can lump this in to another New Year’s Resolution, but this is more of a lifestyle change. Why do we have resolutions? We want change. Change in our world, in our life, in our diet, etc.

Let us discuss my 3 month resolution/challenge: minimalism.

Ok, wait, don’t leave.

I’m not selling my house and living in a tiny house and becoming vegan.

I’m just challenging myself to live with less, consume less, and live more. That doesn’t sound so hard right?

As Christmas season draws to an end, it is clear that we consume way too much and call it happiness. I get it. I love to shop. I love to shop FOR people. But, what is the cost of every decision we unconsciously make?

Lets take a different direction. What do you want in life? If you could have anything you want, what would it be?

Think for a second.

Things will run across your mind like, “healthy family” “more vacations” “more money” “a maid” “Xbox One” etc etc.

Now, let’s go ask someone in their 90’s or 80’s if they could have anything they wanted, what would they want?

It won’t be an xbox or more money or material goods. They would want things that we take for granted, time, health, and family.  In fact, when you ask your grandparents what they want for Christmas, is it a long list of material goods? Probably not. Was that your list? Or are you so SICK of THINGS, that you couldn’t think of anything? If you were either, good news.

You are ready for the minimalist challenge.

I recently came across a job opportunity which in all aspects seemed wonderful, but my heart wasn’t invested, and the only thing drawing me towards it was “money”. We take job opportunities for money and call it love. We spend money and call it love. We make more money, then buy more things, and still never have enough….money.

In my quest to understand why I said no, I’ve been learning about what I truly want. (My boss who is wonderful, said that indeed, you will learn more about yourself just by entertaining the thoughts of yes or no.)

Let’s see if you want to take the minimalist challenge for 3 months with me: Do you identify with any of these quotes?



1.  For the longest time, I thought I needed to be more organized. Now I know I just needed less stuff.
2.   Stop trying to impress others with the things you own. Begin inspiring them by the way that you live.
3.   You might get 85 years on this planet- don’t spend 65 paying off a lifestyle you can’t afford.
4.   Kids don’t remember their best day of television.
5.   The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.


Number 5, was my calling. Mindless spending does have a cost. When I say, I could never afford a European vacation now that I have a kid, I’m lying to myself because it’s easier. I COULD afford it. Other things would have to make a sacrifice.

I’ve always been a frugal person, never cared much for new brands. I’ve never owned a coach purse or shopped at high end stores. But I still consume so much that I don’t need. Clothes go out of style within months. Electronics are useless within years. We haven’t been consumed by a materialistic society; we have consumed the materialistic society.

My husband’s cousin Chris dropped his corporate job and traveled the world. Now he has created his own business. Here is an excerpt from his blog: 

“Locked into my job as a commodity trader, I had reached a point in my life where the only objective was putting more money in the bank. Sitting in front of 8 computer screens for 10 hours a day wasn’t doing much for my soul, and the prospects for adventure were limited to checking out a new bar or a 3 day ski trip to Colorado. The Chicago winter had kept me from seeing sunshine on a weekday for the past 4 months.

Something had to change.

That something was me.”

Are you convinced yet that you need LESS things and MORE life experiences?




Are you up for the challenge? Post a pic of your purge and tag me! Come back soon for February’s challenge.

Remember he who buys what he doesn’t need, steals from himself.-Sweedish Proverb

*If you want to learn more, there is a documentary on Netflix: minimalism.

Comments

Popular Posts